Tuesday, July 21, 2015

I understand.

If you're a part of the iGen (Generation Z), then it's a safe assumption that Iwata's impact was strongly felt through games like Pokemon Silver, Gold, Stadium, Super Smash Bros., along with his decisions to direct Nintendo towards gimmicky consoles that separated themselves from their competition and still managed to profit considerably. Prior to that, there was Balloon Fight, but I didn't care much for playing Joust, and Earthbound, a game I never could get my hands on (for monetary reasons), which left me with Kirby's Dream Land. I love the game, and I eventually bought the anniversary collection (with the included soundtrack, of course), but, please understand, that alone doesn't feel as though I should have the right to associate the man with my childhood. Instead, Mr. Iwata played a role in my early adulthood as a shining example of the sort of person I should strive to be, even if I don't end up being as successful as he was.

Satoru Iwata was a man who not only knew what he was doing, and loved what he was doing, but he also enjoyed expressing that love to the public: first, through ensuring high quality content from nearly all of Nintendo's first-party titles, and, later, with the help of various forms of social media to build strong public relations with fellow gamers, especially with his Iwata Asks segments and Nintendo Directs. He was the sort of man I respected most in this world: hands-on, hard-working, humble, and even a bit quirky. The president of a major company who maintained consideration for both his employees and consumers as a result of starting at the bottom, working his way up the corporate ladder, and managing to not forget where he came from in the process. He understood that responsibility begins at the top, a lesson many refuse to learn nowadays, and that money shouldn't be the main focus of a business (though it's certainly an important one), as was indicated by his relatively low base salary. With his passing, the world has become a darker place, and I fear for Nintendo's future because of it. Sure, the company has made plenty of foolish decisions under Iwata's leadership, and many believe his loss will lead to a more business savvy (i.e. soulless) direction, but the thing is, somebody has to take chances, and few gaming companies have both the nerve and money to afford the potential backlash of those risks. Video games need that innovation to help the industry to evolve, which is why I've always loved Nintendo. Now, I can only hope that the company remains as fun and unpredictable as it had been under Iwata's leadership. 

I would eat a banana in the man's honour if I wasn't allergic to them, but I do plan on purchasing Earthbound Beginnings in the near future. That's something I guess. I wish I could think of something more appropriate, and I don't mean adding my name to an assortment of silly petitions. I would purchase Kirby and Ness amiibos if I could find them (aside from scalpers), but that doesn't seem likely at this point. 

I've also been listening to Bound Together, a fan-made soundtrack of remixed music inspired by Mother 2 (That's one more reason to praise Iwata, right?) The music is free to download, and includes tracks by Virt, The OneUps, and Joshua Morse. I recommend it, along with downloading Earthbound Beginnings on the VC.

I really wanted to post about all of this sooner, but, considering the topic was on a more personal level than my usual garbage, I just didn't want to settle for using something I quickly took off of Google images. As a result, you get to look at this eyesore I created. My apologies.

3 comments:

chopsuey said...

No nay-sayer can deny the respect the man deserves for his contributions to the Golden Age of gaming and the commendable ideology that he fervently adhered to the very end. While games nowadays strive to be more like interactive movies with little deviation between the competition, Iwata at least made each experience feel exotic and new, regardless of whether it was gimmicky or not. With the under-powered gimmick that was the Wii, he made a mountain with it despite the better competition, and makes it relevant still with the Wii U. Sure, some debatably bad business calls were made, but the man was only human. Nevertheless, Nintendo wouldn't have been what it is now today without him.

Geoffrey Barnes said...

Genyo Takeda and Shigeru Miyamoto should do a good job filling in for Iwata in the interim, but I hope Iwata spent some time grooming a successor. Otherwise, the changes made at Nintendo will be far larger than many -- including me -- expect.

Despite some questionable comments, I'm glad most are taking the time to celebrate his legacy. It's a heartwarming moment for the gaming community in the face of immense tragedy.

Phronemophobia said...

What a nice surprise from both of you.

As I mentioned to him before, I was expecting criticism from Chops about the drawing, rather than a genuinely kind comment. I hadn't put any real effort into a drawing since... uh, 2001, I think (right before high school ended), so to type that I'm a bit rusty is quite an understatement. And Sir Barnes the Noble is an even greater honour, considering his comments usually come when asked for his opinions on the content. Doing so on his own caught me off guard, especially considering how much time must be devoted to consistently updating his own blog.

Thank you very much, Chops. Sir Barnes the Noble. *bows*
(And, yes, I do bow whenever I type that.)